Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thursday, 7/20

This is not how it's supposed to be.

I know I whine a lot about the weather in here. Heck, it's even mentioned in the promos we run on air for these pieces. Sometimes, it's justified, and sometimes, it's not.

This month, though, it IS justified.

We're in the span of a week or so when Marquette has its highest average temperatures for the year--76 degrees. After this, the average highs start to fall as Fall slowly encroaches upon us. So what's going on during this span, when we're supposed to be having our highest average temperatures of the year?

Well, if you said, lots of clouds, lots of rain, and temperatures 10 to 15 degrees below what they're supposed to be, you'd be right.

I find it quite ironic, as well, that while most of the north half of the planet is baking in record heat that we're suffering through a very fall-like summer. I mean, I know we broke the planet, and I know that weird weather in one part of the globe has to be balanced out by weirder weather in another part. But still--ending up with the short end of the proverbial weather stick? Is that fair? Where's our record heat?

See? Justified whining.

Now, I know there are many of you would not like record heat. I get that. I get that, for many people, cool summers are preferable to what the rest of the northern hemisphere is going through right now. But for some of us summers are an escape from the reality we have the other nine months of the year. The rest of the year we deal with cool, wet, gray days. To also be given them during the one time of the year when expect (or at least hope) for something different?

I'd sigh if I could. Only I think I've used up my quota of sighing for the year..

Hopefully, some day soon, this trend will reverse, and we'll get the warm. Heck, I'd even settle for a day where there's sun and the temperatures are where they should be this time of the year. Maybe we'll get it. But as the days get shorter and the average temperatures keep dropping, there will be fewer and fewer chances. Like I said, I hope we get them.

Because if not, you'll be subjected to a long nine months of justified whining before the next attempt at summer rolls around.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment