Monday, July 10, 2023

Monday, 7/10

There is, I'm sure, a story waiting to be told here.

I've often commented about how, if you're out on Marquette streets early on a weekend morning, you see things you might not see during the day. If you're early enough you may get to see signs of what happened the night before, before it's cleaned up. Normally, that means piles of barf on the sidewalk or the occasional lost ID that slipped out of a pocket.

When I went out early Saturday morning, I saw this--



I have no idea what went on here. Did someone's feet hurt, they slipped off their shoes, and totally forgot about them? Were they offended by the color and/or style, and just decided to toss them? Did they stop to smoke the cigarette whose butt you can see in the picture, and then decided to walk home barefoot? I'm assuming alcohol was involved, but what if it wasn't and they left the shoes there on purpose?

See? There IS a story behind the shoes. I just don't know what it is.

This isn't the first time I've seen discarded pieces of clothing while out walking. I've found men's & women's underwear on the Lower Harbor breakwater, a bra stuck in a tree on Magnetic, and more single socks & mittens than I can count. And each and every time I come across a piece of discarded clothing I wonder why. Did they need to shed weight because they were being chased by a bear? Did they feel more comfortable having just one foot with a sock on it? Did the people who left their underwear on the breakwater...

Never mind. I have a pretty good idea why I found the underwear piled on top of each other on the breakwater.

So many discarded pieces of clothing, so many stories yet to be told. The shoes are just another plot point in that epic. Now, I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder what I'll come across next.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment