Friday, June 30, 2023

Friday, 6/30

Well. This should be interesting.

Here we are, heading into a rather elongated Fourth of July weekend. Because the holiday is on Tuesday, some people may get an extra day off Monday. Some people may get an extra day off Wednesday.

Me? I get both of them off.

My new (well, new from a year ago) employers usually give us the 4th and the 5th off. This year, that's Tuesday & Wednesday. But, because (I guess) for some people it doesn't make sense to have a weekend off and then work for a day before having two more days off they decided to give all their employees Monday off as well, which means that I now have a five day weekend ahead of me.

And that's weird. I mean, weird in a good way, but it's still weird.

First of all, just let me say that I am in no way complaining. I mean, who wouldn't want an extra day off in the middle of summer (even a “summer” like this one)? Trust me—I'm really looking forward to it. But I've also been ingrained with this...training that in broadcasting you're usually working. After all, you're providing a public service, and usually that means if someone, somewhere is on the job, you are, too. But my “new' employers look at things a little differently. Once again, I'm in no way complaining. It's just an interesting adjustment after doing things a certain way the past, oh, thousand years.

But, on the whole, it's an adjustment I'm more than willing to attempt.

So, that means there won't be a new one of these until next Thursday. I also won't be on the air during that time, although there will be a “best of” day on Wednesday. After all, I don't want you to miss me too much (although, I'm guessing, there probably ARE some people who are out there saying “No, Jim, that's fine. We REALLY won't miss you”). I guess we'll see how it all turns out. After all, we ARE entering uncharted territory here.

So with that, have a great weekend, no matter how long your weekend is. See you Thursday!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment