Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Wednesday, 9/7

I totally forgot about it.

Yesterday was the anniversary of a big day in my life, although probably not as big as it used to be. You see yesterday, September 6th, was my workiversary, the anniversary of my starting to work at Q107-WMQT.

And I kinda sorta didn't even realize it until I was almost done for the day.

I have no idea why I didn't realize it, although I do have an idea. When I worked for Taconite Broadcasting, my workiversary would mean that I got another whole new batch of vacation days and, as we all know, that's kind of important. But now that I'm employed by the KBIC and get my vacation days on an ongoing basis September 6th is no longer quite as important as it once was.

But still, yesterday was my workiversary. You think I would have actually realized that.

When I started this job waaaaay back in the 20th century I had no idea I'd still be doing it almost a quarter of the way through the 21st century. I always figured it would be a fun thing to do until my “real job” came along. Little did I realize that it actually WOULD become my real job, a position that has not only been a blast but has also been a springboard to all these other things I've been able to do and all the other “Jims”(aside from Radio Jim) that I've been able to become.

And that's rather cool.

Whenever someone asks me how long I've been at my job (which is actually quite often, believe it or not) I tell them and then add that I'm “just too lazy to get a real job”. But why get a “real” job when the one I have has led to so much? If I had found a “real” job all those years ago I'd probably be stuck in an office or on the road and wouldn't have had the opportunities I've had over the past couple of decades. So while I haven't become materially rich, I have become rich in the sense that I'm happy, I have a fulfilling life, and I get to do all these neat things that most people never get the chance to do.

And that's so much better than having a real job.

So even though it's a bit belated, happy workiversary to me. And a big thanks to everyone reading this, as well, because you've been part of the journey. It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without you.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment