Thursday, September 15, 2022

Thursday, 9/15

They really are two smells that I can live without.

But before I get into that, last night's North Marquette walking tour was a success, despite September-like temperatures. Wanna see just part of the group?



Thanks, everyone, for showing up!

Now, back to the smells.

There are very few things that wake me up in the middle of the night. One is when our upstairs neighbor, whose kitchen is right above our bedroom, decides that 2 am is a good time to cook a three course dinner. The other occurs every so often, and happened the other night.

That would be when a skunk decides to let loose somewhere nearby.

I don't know what it is about the scent of skunks and why I'm instantly awaken by it when I can usually sleep through anything. It just does that to me. At the first whiff I'll bolt out of bed and try to shut all the windows, but by then it's usually too late, and the smell has taken up residence in our apartment for the night, rendering any further attempt at sleep moot.

It's always so much fun. And I have no idea why skunks seem to like our neighborhood. As I've mentioned before we live in one of the most densely packed sections of the city, a place where I don't even think there's enough room for a skunk to live. Yet they do, and they sure enjoy letting the world know they're part of the neighborhood, as well.

Trust me. It's wonderful having neighbors like that.

The other smell without which I can live? Well, after heading to work post-skunk my office soon started to smell like the inside of a fast food restaurant, which it does on occasion. Why, you ask? Well, I answer, it's because Marquette's Elks Club is next door, and for some reason every so often fish fry whiff seeps into our building, despite the fact that the two buildings aren't physically connected. I'm thinking they must have a kitchen vent that, when the wind is just right, sends the whiff in the direction of our AC/Heating air intake.

And that's what it did yesterday, just a little while after the skunk acted as my very own personal alarm clock.

So imagine that. Skunk and fried food whiff, all within the span of a few hours. Can a guy get any luckier in life?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

(ps—I get to spill the beans about my new TV gig tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment