Monday, November 30, 2020

Monday, 11/30

 It turned out pretty well, thanks for asking.

First of all, hope you had a great Turkey Day weekend, in whatever form it took this year. My girlfriend and I did, taking the soccer balls out into Thanksgiving (!) sunshine before digging into that casserole-type thingee I mentioned last time we met. It took parts of two days, but we were both happy with the end result--



It all started Wednesday night, when I roasted a turkey breast with rosemary butter and made home made cranberry sauce. Then after we kicked the balls around for an hour Thursday I put those two ingredients together with cornbread stuffing and baby spinach, and topped the whole things with chopped pistachios.

20 minutes later at 350, and we had ourselves a feast. And, without tooting my own horn (too much), a pretty good feast at that.

I can't claim full credit for the dish; Loraine found a recipe that called for some of the ingredients, and I just took it from there. It called for turkey cubes (whatever those are), but I went the roasted rosemary butter route. I also chose the cornbread stuffing instead of boring old white bread stuffing. The recipe called for dried cranberries; it was Loraine who suggested I make fresh sauce. And, for some strange reason (probably because this is America) the recipe called for the whole thing to be covered by half a pound of cheddar cheese.

Thankfully, my girlfriend thought of topping it with the chopped pistachios instead. Have I ever mentioned we make a pretty good team?

8-)

So that's how the Covid Thanksgiving dinner turned out. It wasn't what we usually eat and it wasn't where we usually eat it, but we made do. Hopefully, he says way too optimistically, by the time the next holiday rolls around we'll be able to celebrate it at least partially like we usually do. But if not, I think we'll be able to handle it.

I really do.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment