Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Wednesday, 11/13


I think the walking tours will be quite fun.

History Jim now knows what he'll be doing in 2020. Along with the big Kaufman show Jack and I are throwing together for January, my friends at the Marquette Regional History Center have given me the usual batch of tours & programs for the upcoming year.

Now, I'll just have to see if I can snarl traffic again like I did this summer.

8-)

I'm doing two all-new walking tours next year, one I've been thinking about for a couple of years and then one that came to me while in the middle of the “...And Put Up A Parking Lot” last year. The first will be a stroll up & down Third Street in Marquette, talking about the way the street's changed in the past 100 years. I'm actually subtitling it “Day and Night”, because on the way up (down?) the street I'll talk about the people who lived there and the businesses they ran. Then on the way back down (or up?) I'll mention the bars that used to populate the street. Hopefully, the walk won't be too long and hopefully, the sidewalk will hold everyone who shows up for these things.

Hopefully.

As I said, the other was an idea I had while doing research for “Parking Lot” and then decided to do it for sure while actually giving the tour and talking about a place called The Coffee Cup. It's called “The Greasier the Spoon”, and it'll be a downtown walking tour talking about some of Marquette's legendary greasy spoons, diners, restaurants, and the like. Believe it or not, people have some amazingly fond memories of places that were around in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and with any luck I'll be able to capitalize on that.

We'll see.

Aside from the shows and the tours I'll be hosting the Center's annual trivia contest in April, and—for some masochistically bizarre reason—I also volunteered to write half a dozen newspaper articles, as well. So seeing as how I'm apparently a glutton for punishment, I now know what 2020 has in store for History Jim!

****

Speaking of newspaper articles, you may recall how last week I mentioned I was having trouble  choosing between three topics for one coming up in December. Well, I've finally decided, which means you could be spending a little time during the holiday season reading all about how a church burned down, and how it became the biggest spectator event of the year in Marquette.

That's in a few weeks, one of just many things that'll get pumped out in the next 13 months!



No comments:

Post a Comment