Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Wednesday, 11/6


Which one should I write about next?

When I was voting yesterday morning I ran into several fans of History Jim, and one of them brought up the articles I've been writing for the Mining Journal. This person wondered if I have another one coming up (spoiler alert--I do), and then asked what the topic would be. I had to give them the honest answer--

I don't know yet.

My next article is scheduled for the end of December, so I do have a little time. And while I have three that I'm considering, I really don't know which I should do next. So I tell you what—I'll present them to you, and if you wanna weigh in on which you'd be interested in reading, I'll take it under advisement.

The first? The story of this church--



That's the old First Baptist Church in Marquette, a glorious sandstone structure that used to sit in what is now the Landmark Inn's parking lot.

Then there's this field--



Know what and where it was? It's what used to be called Longyear Field, and sits across Lakeshore Boulevard from the Maritime Museum. At one time it was the front yard of the Longyear Mansion, and before they built houses on it it was a place where everyone from marching bands to the Graveraet High School football team would use for practice.

And finally, I do wanna write about this place some time--



You know what that place is, right? You don't? It's Marquette's oldest existing continuously operating bar. It's been going since the 1880s, with just one stop for Prohibition (and even then...well, that's part of the story). Still not sure?

Take a look again--



Now do you recognize it? If you don't, here's a hint.

It's Remie's.

8-)

I've been leaning toward doing a story on the First Baptist Church, as the anniversary of its burning down is just a few weeks after the story will be published. However, I do realize that there are other stories that should be told, so if you wanna weigh in on the matter I will certainly take your opinions to heart. Just let me know.

And thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment