Monday, November 11, 2019

Monday, 11/11


This was a strange weekend. Loraine and I couldn't play soccer.

I think I've written in here before about how she & I head out each weekend with a couple of balls and kick 'em around. We're not really that good, but we're noticing that practice has made us a little better. We started last summer, and then picked up again in May after all the snow had melted. We've then done it every weekend since, including in the sun this past Sunday, until this weekend.

Darn you, snow!!

It's funny; over the years, people will always say to us “I saw you guys out walking”. But this past year, we've actually had people start to say to us “I saw you guys out playing soccer”. And since we do it at either Lower Harbor Park (at least when there's no goose poop there) or NMU's Wright Street Fields (where there's a net set up) I guess I can understand why. In fact, one of the nicest things someone said about us recently came out of someone seeing us at Lower Harbor Park.

Loraine and I, at the end of a sweaty summer session of practice, were playing keep-away. One of us would get the ball, and the other would try not to let the other have it. Loraine's a lot better at it than am I, and by the end of this session we just kind of dissolved into giggles over the whole thing.

Flash forward to the next day, when I get a call at work from a lady who saw us giggling in the middle of Lower Harbor Park. She just wanted to let me know that it was, and I quote, “one of the sweetest things I've seen in quite a long while”. She thought it was neat that we still “play” together and have so much fun when we do it. It almost, she joked, restored her faith in humanity.

And all we were doing was ineptly playing soccer. Who knew?

It now looks as if we're in our off-season; four or five months of not having a grassy field on which to play. It's a bummer, too, for a couple of reasons. One is I've really started to like playing. While I'm not anywhere near the natural athlete that Loraine is, I do seem to have one skill that translates well to the sport—I'm ambi, uhm, footerous. I can kick equally well with my right and left legs, which apparently is a prized skill in the sport. Aside from that, playing soccer really burns off the calories, and that's allowed us to indulge in a few things (okay, a lot) of ooey-gooey goodies that perhaps would not indulge in otherwise.

And that's sad.

So now, unless we can find someplace indoors that would work, it looks like we're off until April or May, and it'll be a bummer. I've really grown to enjoy our little “practice” sessions, and our weekends just won't be the same.

8-(


No comments:

Post a Comment