Monday, November 18, 2019

Monday, 11/18


This was the weekend I started to try and answer a question posed to me by Loraine every year at this time--

“What are you gonna make for Christmas cookies this year?”

When she asked I had to shake my head in wonder. Wasn't it just, like, a month or so ago I actually baked all those cookies?

8-)

Christmas cookies are always a big deal, if only because I do them twice. For more years than I want to remember, I’ve always gone over to my parents to make the traditional Koski family cookies. Even when I didn’t live in Marquette, I always made sure I got home (if only for a day) to stick them in the oven. Over the years the tradition spread to the next generation, as was helped in the task by my nieces Mallory and Sydney. But now that they're all grown and moved away, I'm back on my own. And it's too bad, too, as one of their jobs was to make sure their grandfather didn't eat them all before Christmas.

Some years, that was a full-time job.

The second group of cookies I make is at my place. These are the cookies that the question that opened this blog addressed; the 6 or 7 different kinds I bake every year, some of which we eat, and many of which we share with family, friends, and neighbors. Like with my parents, there are some “traditional” cookies I always make--The Grandma Cookie, the Yooper Cookie, and those incredibly yummy cherry-chocolate blossoms I’ve come to know and love--but I always also like to try several different cookies. . .ones I’ve never tried before. One will invariably have chocolate, another nutmeg. Maybe one’ll have fruit or mint, and the other will have some kind of exotic flavoring that I have to spend several weeks trying to track down. And THAT’S why Loraine always reminds me about Christmas cookies in the middle of November--so I’ll have enough time to figure out what I’m making, and then track down everything I’ll need to actually make them.

Well, guess I should go dive deeply into some of those cookie books I have lying around, and see what I can come up with for this year. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment