Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Wednesday, 8/1


I think the seagull had it in for me.

I took another one of my half days yesterday, and was enjoying the sun and the heat (at least the sun & the heat before the clouds moved in in the early afternoon) by taking a walk along the Lower Harbor breakwater. As I was making my way toward the rocky section of the wall, I noticed a very large group of seagulls just sitting on top of the breakwater, squawking and flapping their wings as seagulls are wont to do. I thought it kind of odd, considering most seagulls in that area spend their time either in Lower Harbor Park or on Ripley's Rock, but, I figured, they're birds. Maybe they just got distracted by something shiny.

As I walked near the group, most of the seagulls scattered. There was one, however, that either didn't see me, or didn't get the inter-office memo that I was coming, because it just stood there on the breakwater, watching me as I walked past. Being raised to have good manners, I even nodded my head and said "hello" to the bird as I walked by.

The bird, however, was NOT raised to be very mannerly. I was about 10 feet past it when I heard a squawk and the rustling of wings as the seagull took to the skies. I kept hearing this squawk above me, and looked up to see my friend the bird heading toward me, wings fully extended and its vocal capabilities pushed to the max.

It was then I realized that I was being dive-bombed by the seagull.

My first impulse was look around and to see if the ghost of Alfred Hitchcock was lurking around. My second impulse was to look around and see the bird pull up about five feet from my head, and then circle around to make another pass. It did the same thing again, this time flexing its talons as it flew by.

The seagull apparently had it in for me, and I had no idea why.

I looked around to where the group of birds had been sitting, to see if I had accidentally stumbled onto a nest, or a feeding ground. I hadn't; in fact, the only thing I saw were several prime examples of the calling cards seagulls leave all over the city of Marquette. Yet, for some reason, I had done something to irritate the seagull now getting ready to make its third pass over my head. As it swooped down, squawking, I decided to fight fire with fire. As it buzzed five feet over my head, I yelled out, as loud as I could, "Hey-- I'm allowed on here, too".

That's when the strangest thing happened. The seagull pulled up, looking like it was going to make another run, but then just circled high above me a dozen or so times, before flying off to join the rest of the original flock of birds, now bobbing on the waves of the lake.

I just stood there, amazed. Had I just run into the one seagull on the planet who listens to reason? Did the sound of my voice scare it off? Was it just getting bored playing its little game, and decided to go off and join its friends? I had no idea. As I finished my walk along the breakwater, I kept my eye on the group of birds, which remained bobbing up & down on the waves as I climbed over the rocks, out to the foghorn, and back again. The seagull did not bother me the rest of the time I spent in its immediate neighborhood.

As I was getting done with my walk along the breakwater, I turned around and, being mannerly, yelled out "Bye, bird. Have a nice day!" I'm sure the Coast Guardsman working on a boat a few feet away from me thought it a bit strange, but I just wanted to make sure that, the next time I stroll the breakwater, the same seagull does NOT have it in for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment