Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thursday, 8/23


I wonder if it'll be any better when I get back.

This is one of those weird thoughts that popped into my head while running yesterday, and actually has to do with my workout schedule. I think I've mentioned in here that it's been a very active summer; aside from my usual running & working out, I've been biking a lot more than normal (I have to try & keep up with Loraine, after all), and we've even added a weekly bout of soccer to our schedule, as well. That's a lot of (healthy) exercise, and I will admit that there are days when I feel it. I'm sore, I'm a little tired, and it takes a little longer to get motivated and/or just get out of the chair.

But I've also noticed something else, like at the end of my run yesterday. This is a run I think I've talked about before, where I basically try to kill myself running up & down the hills of downtown Marquette. Usually when I'm finished I'm beat; no matter no often I run them, those hills, especially in summer, really take it out of you. But during the past few hill days, which I usually save for days when I've recovered just a bit, I have noticed I have a very strong finish when I tackle the final hill.

I am no longer beat when I'm done with the run.

I attribute that fully to the extra work I've been doing this summer, just like I attribute the fact that I seem to have added a lot of thigh muscle recently to the work I've been doing this summer. (Seriously—for the first time in my life I can't get my hands around my thighs. It's weird). So all the extra biking and soccer has paid off. Despite the additional soreness and tiredness I go though because of it, I can make it up hills easier than usual. I can (try to) keep up with Loraine on a bike.

It's almost like I'm an athlete, or something. Which I'm not. But I'm married to one, and that's why I'm almost there.

And that led me to the weird thought—if I can do all that now when I'm sore and stiff and tired, what will I be like when we get back from Germany? Aside from hiking and a lot of walking, I won't have the chance to do a lot of what I usually do. I won't be running, or working out, or biking, or playing soccer for almost two weeks. All the little assorted aches and pains should have time to heal. And since most experts say it takes a while for a person who doesn't exercise to lose whatever fitness level they're all, I should hopefully be at the strength I am now when we get back, minus whatever aches & pains I currently have.

Hence the weird thought—if I can now go up hills and do other things now better than I have been, what'll it be like in two weeks when I still have the strength but (hopefully) not the assorted aches & pains? Will I zip up them like they're not even there? Will my feet & my knees, unencumbered by two weeks of not running & working out & biking & soccering, actually be able to respond like they've been fully recharged and ready to go? Or will my muscles, given the 12 day break, go on vacation, and decide that it's their turn to now be sore & achy? I have no idea. I've never been a situation like this.

But you know what? It'll be interesting to find out. Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment