Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Wednesday, 3/15

Beware the Ides of March!

Sorry; I just always wanted to write that and actually have it make sense. And since today IS the actual “Ides”, I can now rest happy. I just need to figure out what color to wear. After all, if tomorrow (St. Urho's Day) is purple, Friday (St. Patrick's Day) is green, and yesterday (Pi Day) was the color of whatever pie you last ate, what does one wear for an “Ide”?

I'm going for black. I'm assuming Julius Caesar would agree.

And yes, I do know I need to get a life. You don't need to remind me!

8-)

Today's gonna be one of those days, I think. Maybe some of that is because it's ten days until I go to Florida for a long weekend (and the extended forecast calls for temps in the 80s when I arrive). And maybe some of it is that fact that I was woken up early this morning in perhaps the one way I don't mind getting woken up early—by the chirping of birds. I don't know if you've noticed it, especially with the snow & cold of the past few weeks, but at least in my part of Marquette there's been an increase in the number of song birds plying their trade during the early morning hours. In fact, after being awoken early today, I went running without my usual iPod, and was astounded by the amount of bird chatter I heard all throughout my little jaunt (which included a lot of downtown Marquette, believe it or not).

In fact, sometimes the birds were even louder than the cars, muffler-less pickup trucks, and Marq-Tran buses that usually interrupt whatever I'm listening to.

I also have to admit I like the fact that evenings that are now longer, thanks to the time change last weekend. Instead of walking home in the dark I get to walk home in the light., and for some reason it just seems to make the three-block jaunt a little easier, even through the aforementioned cold & snow. It may just be a perceptual thing, but to me at least walking home against a bitter north wind is slightly less cold with a little sunshine hitting your face.

Not only that, but now that it's light out when I walk home I can see the proto-buds on my favorite lilac tree, and know that Spring will be here for real sooner rather that later. And who doesn't want that?

Okay; seeing as how I've already accomplished so much waking up a few minutes early I'll stop babbling now, go find something black to wear, and get ready to head to work. And with any luck, I won't run into anything (or anyone) I'll need to “Beware” of today. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment