Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Tuesday, 3/7

Because I have to go to the dentist in a few and get the permanent cap cemented onto on my back tooth (which means I can finally drink tea again!), I'm gonna leave you with something I wrote four years ago, when I was trying to sell my car.

(And as an aside, I haven't had a car for four years now? Geez!)

Back tomorrow with a fully capped tooth and the story of a VCR tape I came across this past weekend.



*****

(as originally posted 3/12/2013):

Really? That’s the thing that makes you say “no”?

As I wrote yesterday, we’re in the process of selling my current car before Loraine gets her brand-new one. Even before putting an ad on Craig’s List we had a couple of people express interest in it, but that interest soured once they learned what is apparently a dark, deep, disturbing secret about the vehicle.

It’s a stick--a manual transmission. Scary, huh?

I don’t get what the big deal is; every car both Loraine and I have ever had have been sticks. They get great gas mileage, they give you better control over your driving, and, in all honesty, it’s a lot more fun driving a stick than it is an automatic. Yet so many people out there are either afraid of them or don’t even know how to drive them (something that’s quite funny if you ever watch “The Amazing Race”) that it seems a bit astounding.

Driving a car with a manual transmission isn’t scary. Really, it isn’t. Yet either because they don’t teach people how to drive them, or because they require concentration while behind the wheel, or (perhaps) because you can’t talk on a phone easily while driving a stick, most people resemble the figures in an Edvard Munch painting when presented with the possibility of driving a car with a manual transmission. It’s not that scary. Trust me on this; I’ve driven them for 3 decades, and on those rare occasions I get into a car with an automatic something just doesn’t feel right. I know that’s weird, but that’s how it feels.

And it must be something that’s an American phenomenon; every time we rent a car over in Europe, it comes with a big bold warning--in English--that the car has a manual transmission. In fact, if you want one with an automatic transmission, you have to pay a hefty surcharge.

Needless to say, we’ve never had to pay the surcharge!

I have no doubt that we’ll sell the car, even though it is tainted with the Scarlet Stick. In fact, there are several messages on my phone from people interested in the vehicle, even though they’re aware it has a manual transmission. I guess it’s just another one of those (many) ways in which I’m outside the mainstream. Who knew you could learn so much just by trying to sell a car?

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment