Friday, March 17, 2017

Friday, 3/17

My cow pen stopped moo-ing today.

That's one of those sentences I never thought I'd write; apparently, I can now cross that off my literary bucket list. But it's true. Having seen first-hand my freakish fascination with cows, my in-laws gave me a pen for Christmas a year ago in the shape of a cow's head. The cool thing about it was that if you pressed the head the pen would emit a “moo”, something that gave me endless hours of joy and Loraine endless hours of shaking her head at me and smiling, much like one does when a little puppy keeps running its head into a wall for no reason.

But now, it's all over.

The pen still works. In fact, I used it to write myself a note last night. But when I finished the note and pushed down in the cow's head, as I'm wont to do, nothing happened. The pen didn't moo, it didn't light up like it normally does when it moos, and I was left there with a sad look on my face like someone had just stolen my favorite piece of chocolate mid-bite.

At least I didn't cry. That's something, right?

I have no idea what's wrong with the pen. I have no idea if the battery's dead, if the switch isn't connecting properly, or if there's some other reason it's currently in its moo-less state. Of course, seeing as how it was made in China and probably cost 3 cents to manufacture, maybe I should be glad and/or surprised that it lasted as long as it did. After all, it could have been sitting on a shelf unpurchased for five or ten years. After all, I'm sure the market for a cow pen that moos probably isn't that big.

It probably consists of me and a few easily-amused second graders scattered across the country.

Don't worry; I'll still keep using the pen. But if my eyes get a little misty and a little lump develops in my throat...well, what can I say? I miss the moo.

******

On that rather bovine note note, have yourself a great St. Patrick's Day today, and keep the celebrating going for the next few days, if you'd like. After all, it IS the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment