Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Wednesday, 11/22

Absolutely no one knew it was coming.

I did something during my TV spot Monday that I've not yet done. At the end of the piece, which dealt with things everyone in the UP can be thankful for, I pulled out a prop. I hadn't told anyone the prop was hiding in my back pocket the entire 45 minutes I was standing in the studio, waiting to go on. And when I pulled it out and held it up to the camera, everyone in the studio, from Sarah to the tech crew to the reporters still hanging around, let out a loud & hearty laugh which you could hear perfectly over the air.

Why? Because I pulled out a can of beer.

I really don't want to over-explain it, so maybe it's better if you watch it. It's only two and a half minutes, so CLICK OR TAP HERE. Don't worry; I'll wait.

(this is just me waiting)

Okay, welcome back.

I have no idea where the idea for the beer came from; it just popped into my head while I was putting it together last weekend, and the reaction it engendered was even better than I could have hoped. More than anything, I guess I'm stunned that I could actually have a can of beer in my back pocket for 45 minutes and have no one notice, although I guess wearing a suit jacket helps.

It helps a LOT.

I almost cracked the beer open and took a swig as the bit wrapped, but it had been in my pocket for 45 minutes and, I'm guessing, was quite shook up. I mean, it may have been even funnier if it exploded all over me, but there was a lot of expensive equipment near me, and you know what?

I like what I do. I really wouldn't want to be asked not to return because, you know, I sprayed a can of Ore Dock Fresh Coast all over a camera. Besides, I'm kinda happy with the reaction I got just by pulling the can out. After all, it's not every day you can make an entire newsroom burst out in laughter.

8-)

*****

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone. I have both tomorrow and Friday off, so I'll be back with something here on Monday. Try not to eat too much!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment