Monday, April 1, 2019

Monday, 4/1 (no foolin')


Well, today’s the big day. Actually, the first of three big days, if you want to be technical, but today’s the day that starts it all off.

This afternoon between 3 and 430 I have to make a phone call to the 96th District Court in Marquette. What the recorded voice that answers my call says between 3 and 430 this afternoon determines my fate for tomorrow. If the voice tells me something has been canceled, I’ll be fine with that. However, if the voice tells me to report to court tomorrow morning at 8:15, I’ll know I’m stuck on jury duty for a while, and my life as I know it gets turned upside down.

Like I mentioned last month, I’m on call for jury duty for each of the next 3 Tuesdays, the first of which is tomorrow. So if I don’t get stuck on jury duty tomorrow, I’m still on the hook for the next two weeks as I'm diving into the hard work of getting ready to leave for Germany the fourth Tuesday of the month (a date for which I've been excused from jury duty, thankfully). So if I don’t get called in tomorrow, I still could in the coming weeks.

Oh well. It's the price you have to pay for living in a semi-functioning democracy, right?

As I said, I have no idea if I’ll be stuck performing my civic duty starting tomorrow, so I, in all honesty, have no idea what my schedule’s gonna be like. I have, however, devised an easy way for YOU to know what’s going on in Jim-land. If you come back here tomorrow and find a blog, you’ll know the voice on my recorded phone call told me I’m free for the next week, and you can celebrate (or mourn) in any way your personal feelings dictate. However, if you show up here tomorrow and see the words “Jim’s on jury duty”, you’ll know that my life’s temporarily turned upside down, and you can then mourn (or celebrate) in any way your personal feelings dictate.

And, if you want, you could wish me luck at the same time, because between jury duty, trying to keep things running at work, and doing whatever else I need to do with the rest of my life (like getting ready to travel a quarter of the way around the planet), I have a feeling it’ll be an interesting few weeks.

So stay tuned. And keep your fingers crossed the recorded voice tells me I’m safe for a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment