Friday, December 7, 2018

Friday, 12/7


Look. I have another song to obsess over!!

Those of you who read this on a regular basis know that I often get a song stuck in my head, and then it won't let go. Heck, it even happened just last month when C&C Music Factory's “Here We Go” took up semi-permanent residence in my brain. Well, it's happened again, and this time I have my birthday to thank for it.

Technically, I have Loraine and the gift she gave me for it. For my birthday, Loraine usually gives me CDs she thinks I might like, and this year's was Lenny Kravitz's “Raise Vibration”. She heard clips of it earlier this year, and when she noticed that it's STRONGLY influenced by 70s R&B she knew it's for me.

She was right.

It's a really good album, filled with grooves that just stick in your head. But my favorite song on the disc (or at least my favorite so far) is a song called “It's Enough”, which is what a song would be like if Marvin Gaye's “Inner City Blues” and the Temptations “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” had a love child. It's eight minutes of musical perfection—a bass line that propels a groove that just won't stop, socially conscious lyrics, and, six minutes into the tune, a trumpet solo that you have to hear to believe.

It's really, really good. And it's a perfect example of why songs set up camp in my brain and won't let go.

Since I have to go play TV host, I'll just leave it at that. Or at this--



Listen to it at your own peril. And have a great weekend while you're at it, as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment