Thursday, March 30, 2017

Thursday, 3/30

You know how Tom Petty says “the waiting is the hardest part”. Well, it's not.

The unpacking is the hardest part.

I don't know why, but whenever I get home from a trip, even a short one like this past weekend, it takes me a while to get everything out of the suitcase, carry-on, and/or backpack I've been using, and put it all away. I'm not quite sure what drives some people to unpack as soon as they get home; I know I couldn't do it. Heck, after a 24-hour trip home from Europe unpacking is the last thing on my mind. So maybe it's not a surprise that it usually takes me a few days to haul everything out and put everything away.

For instance—while the carry-on I brought down to Florida is empty of the clothing it contained, it's still filled with the souvenirs I brought back (minus the ones I gave to Loraine). Likewise, while I took my small laptop out of my backpack, it's still filled with everything else I had, including but not limited to some chocolate, a National Geographic I haven't yet finished reading, and my bag of liquids, which I haven't even thought about until typing this sentence.

Don't let me forget to put those away, if you wouldn't mind.

I'm sure everything from this trip will be away by later tonight, unlike one of those trips to Europe, when it make take almost a week or as long as it takes us to get sick of looking at our suitcases, whichever comes first. But maybe that's not a surprise when you're trying to get your body clock readjusted to American time, dealing with whatever crap has come up at work, and trying to stop your head from spinning because you've just come a quarter of the way around the planet.

That's the excuse I have for then. I really don't have one for now. And that's why I'm hoping the unpacking will be done tonight. Wish me luck. Given my history, I may need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment