Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Wednesday, 11/1

I only have a few minutes, as I have to go shoot another episode of “High School Bowl” in a bit, but like ever other person of my generation I feel the need to share my favorite Matthew Perry TV moment.

Although mine ISN'T from “Friends”.

I've written in here a lot recently about one of the weird aspects of working in TV, how once you're done with something you have to start on the next thing because it's a monster with an insatiable appetite. Well, my favorite Matthew Perry TV moment illustrates that point perfect.

On his short-lived series “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” he played the writer of a “Saturday Night Live”-type show. The only writer, in fact, which is something that would never happen in real life. In one of the first episodes the cast celebrates a great show, but he doesn't join in. Instead, he goes to his office, turns on a countdown clock, sees how much time he has left until the next episode airs, stares off into space for a second, and then sits down to start writing.

THAT'S my favorite Matthew Perry TV. For as much as I love “Friends”--and I do love “Friends”--there's something in that moment that shows he really was a pretty good dramatic actor. And, as I've discovered recently, it's almost a moment to which I can relate just a little too readily.

Okay. I need to run and feed that TV monster in a minute or two. But tomorrow, maybe I'll share the story about how another cast member from “Friends” has been invading my life the past few days.

Even though I didn't ask for it.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment