Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Tuesday, 4/20

 Wow. I just did something that would almost qualify me as a Yooper.

We've discussed this in here before, about how I, even though I was born in the UP and have spent over 85% of my life here, am not considered a “Yooper”. I don't do things Yoopers do, and I've had people from all across the UP inform me that despite my birthplace I'm not a Yooper. According to people ranging from Munising to Champion I'm a “city boy”, both because I'm from Marquette and because I prefer concrete over trees & swamps.

I'm just a bad person, I guess. Or at least a bad Yooper.

(And, if truth be told, I'm fine with it. I KNOW I'm not a “real” Yooper. I'm more of an “Urban Yooper”, which I hope isn't too much of an oxymoron).

Anyway, this “Urban Yooper” did something over the weekend that would make all “real” Yoopers proud. I needed a pair of tan shorts. Since I'm still trying to spend as much money as possible at locally owned stores, to make sure that the community in which I live continues to thrive, I walked down to Getz's. There, I found a pair of shorts that worked perfectly—the size was good, the pockets were good, and the look was good. There was just one thing about the shorts that was unique to me, despite the fact that I've been around a bit.

The shorts were from Carhartt. For the first time in my life I bought a piece of clothing from the line that “real” Yoopers call their own. NOW can I be considered a “real” Yooper?

8-)

Don't worry. I'm not going to take up hunting or 4-wheeling or ragging on “city boys”. I just bought a pair of shorts, and they just happened to be from a company that also makes rugged jackets, work clothes, and and whatever else “real” Yoopers wear. Who knew, right? So now, I can proudly say “I own a piece of Carhartt”, even if it is just a pair of shorts.

In what's probably another sign that I'm not a “real” Yooper I'm wondering how I'll feel the first time I wear them and the Carhartt logo sticks out. After all, I've never worn a piece of their clothing before. Does one act differently? Is there some kind of secret look or handshake I have to give other people wearing their Carhartt? Do I have to stop outside of Getz's every time I pass and ponder my place in the universe?

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

So, as the weather gets warmer, if you happen to see me around wearing a pair of tan shorts, you'll know I've stepped out in my first piece of Carhartt. Based on my previous purchases, it might be my last, but at least I do have something from that iconic, Yooper-loved label.

Even if I'm just an “Urban” Yooper.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment