Thursday, April 8, 2021

Thursday, 4/8

 I have a new co-worker! I'm no longer toiling alone! Now, they just need to pick up after themselves--




Sorry; I'm guessing most people don't like seeing seagull poop first thing in the morning (or whenever you're reading this). But my new co-worker, a seagull, has, thanks to a missing panel, taken up residence in the awning right outside the station--

Like I said. At least I'm not working by myself any more.

I don't know if it's the year-plus of working without company or just the fact that I'm desperate for something, anything new in my life, but I've been watching with curiosity as the seagull has been making itself at home. For the past few days it continually flies out of the awning and into the church courtyard across the street, where it picks up a small branch or twig from the many bushes there, and then flies it back into the awning.

While watching it yesterday (don't worry; I was doing other work, too) I counted it making the trip almost forty times. I wish I had that dedication to whatever it was I was doing. I mean, it's obvious the seagull is not a dumb creature; it obviously knows what it's doing and the best way to do it. And I wouldn't mind sharing my office with someone like that.

Except, of course, for the whole poop thing.

Now, I'm kind of wondering what the seagull will do when someone comes and seals off the awning. Will it try to peck its way through the new panel to get back to its home? Will it just give up and start anew somewhere else? Will it stand out on the sidewalk, staring through the window at me until I let it back in?

Good questions all. And, actually, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing which one is the correct answer. After all, if even for a few days, it was nice to have someone to work with.

Even if it was a bird who poops everywhere.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment