Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Tuesday, 4/13

 I hope I make it out of the week in one piece.

This is Restaurant Week in Marquette, a week when independent restaurants in downtown Marquette offer all kinds of specials to showcase the amazing work they do. Since restaurants have been among the hardest hit of businesses during the pandemic I figured I would do my bit and perhaps, just perhaps, see if I could get something from one restaurant each of the seven days of the promotion.

I'm just hoping I don't explode from the massive amount of great food on offer.

I've already tried two poutine dishes—a Fried Chicken Dinner poutine from Stuckos, and a Cuban poutine from the Delft. Speaking of Cubans, the Bodega has their take on one of my favorite sandwiches, so that's on the list. So is the Pho at Zephyr, the tempura salmon fingers at Elizabeth's, and the crepes at Contrast.

Top it off with a dish from one more place, and there's my week. I also figure that if I eat nothing but fruits and vegetables other than those dishes, I should only gain five or six pounds by the time the whole thing is done.

But I'm helping local businesses, right?

8-)

It's funny, because, technically, I'm not doing much different than I usually do. Oh, I don't get take out or eat in every day of the week, but I DO avail myself of the establishments I mentioned (plus many more). We're really lucky in that regard. Marquette is a place for great food, and a lot of it. For instance, within a one block radius of where I work there's a Mexican restaurant, three bistros, a fine dining place, two pubs, a sports bar, a deli, a Cajun restaurant, an Irish restaurant, a Hawaiian restaurant, and a German restaurant.

And that's just within a one block radius.

So, I guess you can see why I'm tempted by all the special dishes on offer this week. I actually don't know if I'll get through all of the ones I'd like, but I'll do my best. And, if I can't myself, I'll make sure as many people know what's going on as I can.

For all these cool places, it's the least I can do.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment