Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tuesday, 7/23


Well...this could be kinda interesting.

My “Summer of History” (which is how I've just this moment branded my 2019 summer) continues tonight when I do yet another history show, this time in a venue in which I've never performed. Tonight, Jack & I do an encore performance of “What's Up, Dock”, the ultra-successful show we did at Kaufman Auditorium back in January, but this time we actually do it in Marquette's Lower Harbor; specifically, at the Lake Superior Theater.

In way, the show's returning home. After all, it started as a walking tour I gave throughout the Lower Harbor area. So it's only fitting, right?

We're doing the show for a couple of reasons. One is that the Theater asked, because some of the people who run the place enjoyed the show when we did it in January. The second might be them more important reason; there are an awful lot of people who aren't in Marquette in January (although I can't imagine why, he says sarcastically), and many of those who fled for a month or three didn't get the chance to see it the first time we put it on.

So tonight, I guess, is for them.

I know I should be slightly ashamed of saying this, but I've actually never even set foot inside the theater. I know; it's bad, isn't it? It's been a summer cultural touchstone of Marquette for almost two decades, and I've never once attended a play, a concert, or even a history program there. So if you wanna revoke my city residency, I totally understand.

Totally.

It's funny, too; I know SO many people who've performed there that you'd think I would've visited it at least once, but nope. And I don't know why. I attend a LOT of things around the city, so why I haven't even visited the Theater is beyond me. The only guess I can make is that all the performances are in the middle of summer, and I'm usually out enjoying the weather or giving tours myself. I mean, I realize that's a lame excuse and it doesn't account for the fact that there are usually sixty performances at the theater each summer and I sure don't give sixty tours.

But that's just the way it is.

Of course, that's neither here nor there. I WILL actually visit the place when we do “Dock” tonight. It gets underway at 730, and I'm sure tickets are still available. So if you don't have anything else to do and/or want to pay a visit to the Theater yourself, check it out.

Details on how it went tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment