Thursday, July 18, 2019

Thursday, 7/18


So now we know. It's actually the second time that's the charm.

The sun kept shining and rains held off long enough last night for us to get in the “...And Put Up A Parking Lot” tour for the Marquette Regional History Center. And despite the fact that it was postponed a week, there were other activities going on, and the forecast did call for rain later in the evening, a couple of people showed up. And by a couple I mean this many--



I don't have an exact count; if I had to guess I'd say that 80 or so people showed up. Considering it was a rescheduled event on a night when there were a TON of things going on in Marquette, I'm happy with that number.  And it's funny, too. As with most tours we picked up a few stragglers along the way. But that's okay. It's happened on almost every downtown tour I've given, and on almost every downtown tour the people who do join ask at the end if they can make a donation to the History Center.

So it's a win-win.

Now that this one's in the books I get to move on to the next two. A this upcoming Tuesday (the 23rd) Jack & I are doing a reprise of “What's Up, Dock” at the Lake Superior Theater. That one requires little if no extra work on my part. Then August 21st I'm doing a South Marquette tour for the History Center for the first time in almost a decade. That one will actually require some work, staring with me finding my notes from 2010 (wherever they may be) and moving on from there. Then finally, I also get to make a presentation during a Brewing History fundraiser at the History Center September 4th. They 're having serious speakers talk about beer and Prohibition and then a dork telling stories about bars and drunk people.

You can imagine which part I'll be doing.

But that's over the next month and a half. For now, I'm just going to bask in the knowledge that I can relax for a day or so and not obsessively check the weather forecast. Well, I'll actually keep obsessively checking the weather forecast, but that'll be more for beach days and less for wondering if a thunderstorm will rain out a tour.

And it'll be a nice change, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment