Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Tuesday, 7/2


We agree on an awful lot in life, but there is one thing on which Loraine and I will, apparently, never compromise.

The whole issue probably goes back to our childhoods, and the ways in which we grew up. She grew up downstate, in a farming community. I grew up in Marquette, a college town. She had older siblings; I was the first-born. She was a relatively normal child, while I was (and still am) a dork. And I think that once you know those differences in our upbringings you’ll fully understand why we have this chasm separating us.

You see, she likes “The Munsters”, and I like “The Addams Family”.

This has been a point of contention for the 30-ish years we've been together, and it came up against this weekend when we were out to lunch with my friend Deanna. I don't know how the topic came up, but she (Deanna) professed a fair amount of shock when she found out I'm a huge fan of “The Gilmore Girls”. I then had to explain how I like certain kinds of TV shows, and that led to the revelation that Loraine and I have this fundamental disagreement in our relationship.

I like “The Addams Family” for the same reason I like two other shows Loraine’s not really that fond of, “Rocky & Bullwinkle” and the aforementioned “The Gilmore Girls”. I like the shows because they’re hyper-verbal. They feature offbeat characters doing offbeat things, and what they say is often much more important than what they do. That’s the kind of kid I was growing up, and that’s pretty much the way I am now. So I guess it’s no surprise that I would gravitate toward shows that feature characters like that, especially a show like “The Addams Family”.

It’s also not a surprise that Loraine would favor “The Munsters”. Like I said, she wasn’t a dork, so she probably wouldn’t find appeal in a show full of dorks. Not only that, but she had an older brother who gravitated toward movie monsters, and seeing as how “The Munsters” was a show put together so Universal could feature their famous movie monsters of the 1930s, I can see entirely why she likes the show. And it’s not like it’s a really bad TV show.

It’s just not “The Addams Family”.

As I said before, it’s just one of those things about which Loraine & I will have to agree to disagree. She feels, from the depths of her heart, that “The Munsters” is the superior show, while I feel, from the depths of my dorky heart, that “The Addams Family” will never be topped. To quote a great American philosopher, “We’re obviously separated by denominational differences”. And I guess we’ll just have to live with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment