Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Wednesday, 1/4

It’s weird what pops into your head without warning.

I was out running yesterday morning, as I’m wont to do. The snow was falling; while it wasn't heavy it hadn’t been cleaned up yet, and the end result was like trying to run four miles on a sandy beach. It was hard work, but I managed to do it.

Several times while I was running I had a brief thought float through my head, the brief thought being that I would never finish the run. I knew there was no logic behind the thought, because I knew I WOULD finish, but the third or fourth time the thought popped up I flashed back to another time I thought I would never finished a trek through the snow, a time and an occasion I hadn’t thought about for decades.

When I was nine or ten years old (or somewhere around there) I had to walk down to the area around NMU once a week for something (and I don’t remember what that something was, only that I was in or around the University Center). I was a student at Whitman at the time, which means my family lived on the 1100 block of Norway Avenue. Once I finished school for the day, once a week I had to walk down to NMU for something, and then walk home when I was done. That’s how you did it in the early 70s, at least in my world. You walked.

Anyway, while I was out running as an adult yesterday I flashed back upon those days; specifically, upon a day when I had to walk back from NMU when it had been snowing quite a bit. Now, remember that I was nine or ten at the time, but for some reason I seem to recall that the snow was so deep and so hard to walk through that, at the time, I thought it would take me hours to get home (if, in fact, I ever did make it home). Every step seemed like it took all my energy—kind of like running in the snow yesterday—and the distance I still had yet to travel seemed insurmountable.

At least that’s what it seemed like to me at the time. Obviously, I eventually made it home the seven or eight blocks with no problem. The journey probably didn’t even take that long. It’s just that, at that time and with the snow, it seemed like those seven or eight blocks were half way around the world. Sure, I know now, as an adult, that I could walk that distance in ten minutes; heck, I could even probably run it in two minutes. But when you’re nine or ten and staring a seemingly endless journey in the face, it must make an impression on you.

Or, at least enough of an impression that you flash back to it over four decades later, for no reason other than it’s snowing again and the journey in front of you once again seems endless. The human mind is a delightfully weird piece of equipment, isn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment