Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tuesday, 1/10

You know what? It's not as strange as I thought it would be.

We've had the discussion in here before about how some people don't think I'm a Yooper because I don't do certain things in my life. Doesn't matter that I was born in the U.P. and have spent most of my life in the area. Just because of how and where I live my life, there are some people who don't think I'm a true Yooper.

And it's true. I'm not a stereotypical Yooper. I don't hunt, I don't drive a truck, I don't have a 3 or 4-wheeler, and I live in Marquette, which some people seem to think automatically disqualifies one from even being considered a Yooper. But I've now done something that plays into the Yooper stereotype, and you know what?

It's even something that I'll do again.

In a couple of weeks, you'll start seeing episodes of “High School Bowl” in which the Trenary Home Bakery is a question sponsor, which means that the dorky host has to read their names. Well, as you may know, the dorky host sometimes forgets to read those lines, which led my Mom to give me a light-hearted and very sweet Christmas gift, one ostensibly from my newborn nephew Abel. She included a note that said something along the lines of “Uncle Jimmy, please remember to read the sponsor names so that someday I can be on your show”. And she attached that note to a bag of the Trenary Home Bakery's most famous product, Trenary Toast.

A product that, believe it or not, I had never sampled.

Shocking, isn't it? And maybe even more ammunition to those who don't think I'm a Yooper. But, for whatever reason, I have not in my long life ever had the chance to try this true Yooper delicacy...at least until I was given the bag for Christmas. So this past weekend I opened it up, grabbed a slice, and much to my joy and/or amazement, actually enjoyed it.

Who knew?

Now, technically, I haven't yet tried what some might consider “real” Trenary Toast. The bag I was given was of their vanilla-flavored product, and seeing as how I love vanilla-flavored products, maybe that played a little into how much I enjoyed it. But that shouldn't matter. I have no eaten Trenary Toast, and to quote a great American philosopher, I liked it. The hardness of the product didn't bother me, even though I didn't dunk it in anything, and the touch of vanilla to go along with the cinnamon they use was actually rather sublime. If I knew they had the vanilla flavored toast, maybe I would've tried it a while ago.

Not that that matters. I've now tried Trenary Toast, and I have to admit I'm a fan. Whether or not that makes me more of a Yooper, I'm not quite sure. But that doesn't play into it one way or the other. I've tried it, and I like it.

So thanks, Abel. And thanks Mom, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment