Thursday, January 19, 2017

Thursday, 1/19

I wonder if the Fit Strip has made me a better skier?

As most of you know, I've been cross-country skiing for over two decades now. But despite my experience in it, I'm not a great skier, or even a highly above average skier. I'm what I would call a “plodder”; I'm not out there for speed, I'm just out there to burn as many calories as I can. I'm not that big on tricks or fancy maneuvers; as long as I can stay upright, I'm cool with that.

And that's why I've always enjoyed skiing at Blueberry Ridge. Not only do they have kilometers upon kilometers of groomed tracks, but even on the medium-difficulty trails there are nice wide curves and hills that aren't too deadly. It's a very forgiving course, one perfectly suited to a plodder.

But because I don't have a car of my own any more, I've had to forgo going out to Blueberry Ridge (Loraine, you see, doesn't want her car scuffed up by skis, which actually might not fit in there anyway). So instead, when I go skiing I just walk over to the Fit Strip and ski the 2 kilometer outside loop a bunch of times.

Now the Fit Strip is nothing like Blueberry Ridge, at least when it comes to skiing. Where Blueberry Ridge has gentle hills and wide curves, the Fit Strip has short steep hills, several of which lead into wicked curves. If you're not careful, you can easily find yourself in a snowbank, a creek bed, or impaled upon a tree branch. Add to that the fact that the trail is often torn up by walkers and/or their dogs (you know, the ones on the Fit Strip despite the fact there are signs that say “no dogs allowed”) and it takes a certain amount of skill & concentration to ski there. You get a great workout, but half of that may come from the adrenaline your body pumps out as you try to stay upright and safe.

That's why when I realized I had to use the Fit Strip as my primary ski location I wasn't sure how the experience would be. Like I said, I'm a plodder, and the Fit Strip is really best for skiers who know what they're doing and are good at it. But because the Fit Strip is the only place I've skied for two or three years now, I've started noticing something--

I no longer fear the hills or the curves or even the footprints that have destroyed what used to be a groomed track. I've started to handle them without even thinking. The experience of skiing on the Fit Strip for a couple of years now has, I honestly believe, made me a better cross-country skier.

I'm as shocked as the next person, but a little happy, too. I'm nowhere near good enough to, say, go out and take part in a cross country ski race, nor would I want to try and ski a technically difficult course, but whatever apprehension I may have had seems to be disappearing by leaps & bounds every time I go out there. I don't know if it's because I'm a better skier or if it's just because I've conquered my fears and am no longer as big of a baby, but I think I'm a better skier.

Who knew?


No comments:

Post a Comment