Friday, January 27, 2017

Friday, 1/27

At least now I know where it's gonna finish.

Tomorrow's the 19th annual Noquemanon Cross Country Ski Marathon, and as one of the few people who's volunteered at each & every one of them (in my case finish line announcer), I thought I had seen everything. But what with the lack of snow both here at the usual finish line in Marquette and at the usual start line at Al Quaal in Ishpeming, this year's race is gonna be weird. Instead of a 51 kilometer marathon, it'll be 31 K. The Half Noque, which is usually 24 kilometers, will be 23, just slightly shorter than the full marathon. And the 12 kilometer race now gets an upgrade and becomes 14 K, all of which will be run at the same time on different trails of the Noquemanon Trail Network at Forestville.

It should be interesting.

I feel for the organizers of the race; I know I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, dealing with circumstances out of their control, like the weather. However, they've done the best they could. I'm sure they'll be dealing with complaints left and right, but the people complaining really don't have a leg to stand on. Sure, the races will be shorter, but you know what? You can't ski where there's no snow. It's kind of impossible. So while the races won't be the usual length and won't be on the “usual” course, the people putting it on have been working non-stop for a week now trying to get things organized and ready to go.

Kudos to them.

I'm not quite sure how the whole thing will affect my job announcing at the finish line. I know there won't be the usual gaggle of people at the finish line cheering on the participants while ringing cowbells. I know skiers won't be quite as exhausted when they come across the line, and my favorite part of the day—the last hour, when stragglers slowly make their way “home”-- will probably, due to the shortness of the course, not be quite as dramatic as usual. But I'm sure when it's all said and done, everyone taking part in the race, either as a skier or a volunteer, will go home with memories of a very unusual ski race.

And with hopes that the big one next year, the 20th, goes off without a hitch!

On that note, have a great weekend. And if you happen to know or see anyone involved in trying to put this year's race together, let them know they've done a great job under the strangest of circumstances!


No comments:

Post a Comment