Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Tuesday, 12/13

I wonder if it would help at all?

Loraine and I received a Christmas card from daily blog reader Glenn in South Dakota the other day, and one of the things he mentioned was how he and his wife enjoy reading these things every day. Glenn is actually like a lot of you; he doesn't live in Marquette, but because he & Loraine have a common interest and were once on a tour together, he got into the habit of checking these things out.

So if I've never said it, thanks for that, Mr. Cunningham. And thanks for the Christmas card, as well!

Anyway, like I mentioned, there are a lot of people (like the Cunninghams) who read these on a daily basis who have never set foot in Marquette. But because I write about the city so often, and share so many pictures throughout the year, Loraine and I started to wonder—could someone like the Cunninghams, or other people who've never actually been here, set foot in the city and, because they've read these blogs, know what's going on, who all the important players are, or know where they need to go?

I mean, think about it. I write about everything that Marquette has, every place we seem to go, and all of the weird things that seem to pop up. You'd think that would provide a little background info for people who've never been here, right? I mean, at the very least, those people would know what months to visit for beach weather, where to go for interesting food, and what's being built, and why. So could someone who's never been here, but has read these ramblings (and, perhaps, the ramblings of others from the area), get plopped into, say, Lower Harbor Park and hit the ground with their feet running?

That's what I'd be curious about.

One of the reasons I wonder is that I read a lot of blogs and Facebook posts from places we've been (if even for an hour) and I can visualize what the writers from those areas are talking about. But those are areas where, at the very least, I've set foot. Could one person write enough stuff about one area so that if I were to pop in unannounced, I'd know the lay of the land, or at the very least who to ask? Like I said, I'd be curious.

Of course, if any of you who read these and who've never been in Marquette actually find yourself in our fair city, I hope you'd let me know. I mean, not only would I be curious to know if reading these things actually prompted you to come here, but if that were the case, I know a dork who'd love to show you all the stuff he's been writing about all these years!

8-)



(by the way, speaking of Marquette, did you see have yet ANOTHER honor?  This one's thanks to beer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment