Friday, December 30, 2016

Friday, 12/30

It'll be weird hanging out with Loraine, but if the truth be told, I don't think there's anywhere else I would rather be.

For 15 years now, I have not hung out with Loraine on New Year's Eve. Instead, I've spent the evening with 3,000 of my closest drunk friends, broadcasting as the ball drop occurred at the Savings Bank Building right down the street from the station. I did it the first year we moved to Marquette, just because I could, and since people seemed to like it, I kept doing it for the next decade and a half.

But this year? It doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Why, you ask? Well, I answer, because they moved the ball drop. In case you haven't heard, the people who've been putting it on at the Savings Bank Building for over 20 years decided to pass the torch to the next generation, which is both good news and bad news. It's good because we know that there will be a ball drop for the foreseeable future, something that wasn't always guaranteed. That's bad news, though, because by moving the ball drop from the Savings Bank Building to the Masonic Square in downtown Marquette, broadcasting it becomes problematic. Instead of just stepping outside the front door of the station and babbling, I'd either have to run a VERY long mic cable a block away (and watch as one of my 3,000 close drunk friends unplugs it for no reason) or hope I could get an internet signal among 3,000 other people trying to get an internet signal and broadcast that way.

And since neither option guarantees that I'd actually be on the air when the ball drops, as opposed to just standing outside the front door, we decided to forego it this year.

Once again, that's good news and bad news. It's bad because for the first time in 15 years I won't be doing the ball drop. It's good news because for the first time in 15 years I get to spend New Year's Eve with Loraine. Now, I don't know if SHE considers it good news or bad news, but I know that I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I know that while I'll miss spending the evening with 3,000 of my closest drunk friends, I also won't miss spending the evening with 3,000 of my closest drunk friends. After all, I don't know if you've ever noticed what happens when you put drunk people next to a live microphone, but I have 15 years of experience with it, and trust me...you get really good at hitting a kill switch very quickly.

VERY quickly.

So tomorrow will be a different kind of evening, but I have to admit I am looking forward to it. To the new gang putting the ball drop on, I hope it's a smashing success and I hope it's the first of a long run at the new location. And who knows...maybe, some year, I'll figure out a fool-proof way to broadcast from mid-way down the 100 block of West Washington Street. But this year, I think I'll just enjoy Loraine's company.

8-)

On that note, have yourself a great end of 2016, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2017 is better—or at least different—than the year we're wrapping up.

See you Tuesday to start the year anew!


No comments:

Post a Comment