Monday, November 25, 2019

Monday, 11/25


It’s (almost) like being a kid again.

I finally got around to looking at a pre-Black Friday catalog Target had sent me, and was quite intrigued when I saw it contained a special insert devoted solely to toys. Now I don’t know about you, but back when I was a kid (you know, back in the late 1800s), the one way I knew Christmas was coming was with the annual arrival of the holiday J.C. Penney and Sears catalogs. You may remember them--paper behemoths full of everything under the sun, from those boring items like clothes, appliances, and tools to the 50 or 60 pages of the stuff that really counted--

The toys.

As a kid, I would pour through those pages, trying to decide what I should put on my Christmas list. I’d make a list of everything I wanted, and then tried to figure out which items I had the most realistic chance of getting. Those would make the final cut of the list, along with one or two flights of fancy I’d hope to get but knew I wouldn’t (those days, probably a battery-operated toy space station). These days, I ask for something easier to attain, like world peace). After submitting my list to Santa, I’d keep going through the books, wondering which of the toys I’d get and wondering if, perhaps, I should’ve asked for the walking moonwalker (complete with batteries) instead of the 3-foot high model of the Saturn Five.

(And in case you’ve haven't noticed...yes, I WAS just a little space-obsessed as a kid).

Anyway, I thought about all that as I looked through the Target toy flier. I sure that if I was a kid today, I’d do the same thing as I did way back when, only instead of obsessing over space junk, I’d probably be obsessing over the video games, Transformer figures, or digital cameras (specially made for 7-year old hands) that I saw in the modern-day catalog. I also have to admit to a small bit of surprise when I saw a few things in Target catalog that I saw in the long-ago Penneys or Sears book. I’m glad to see that kids still play with Hot Wheels and Easy-Bake ovens; I wasn’t even surprised that the Easy-Bake now looks like a microwave instead of a regular oven.

After all, kids can be picky consumers, right?

I have no idea, but do they even have those big honking’ store catalogs any more? I would be highly surprised if they did; after all, why pay for paper, printing, and shipping when you have the Internet, right? I am, however, guessing that kids engage in the same kind of activity that I engaged in way back when, only now, they’re drooling over their computer screens instead of a 42-pound catalog.

Time, I guess, marches on!



No comments:

Post a Comment