Monday, July 24, 2023

Monday, 7/24

I wonder if I could make a living at it?

Several times this past weekend, while I was out enjoying our almost normal (for once) weather, different people stopped to ask me directions or to ask where something was. That’s not unusual; when Loraine and I are out walking, we get that quite a bit. I don’t know if we just look approachable or like we know what we’re talking about or what, but it happens quite a bit. Not only that, but if we happen to be passing a tourist commenting on a local sight, we’ll give them a little local color, fill them in on what they’re seeing, and usually walk away with “thanks” and seeing a big smile on their faces. Add into all the tours I’ve given this summer (with more to come), and it has gotten me to think--

Could I make a living doing that?

Don’t worry; I’m not quitting any time soon. It’s just that every once in a while I think to myself about how great it would be to spend my days walking around Marquette, helping people who are visiting the area, and educating anyone who wants to be educated about what they see in front of them. I could take them on walking tours, biking tours, and any other kind of tour they’d like. Aside from beach bum, if I could have a dream job, that might be it. Of course, I realize that as with being a beach bum, there’s probably not much money in being friendly to tourists, but a boy can always dream, right?

8-)

It's just one of those things that pops into my head as I'm walking around on a nice summer day. And, just so you know, the forecast for this week calls for (finally) a bunch of nice summer days, so if you happen to see a “best of” or not see one of these posted on a day, know that I'm not ignoring you.

I'm just out enjoying summer while it's here and, in a way, making sure that you don't have to read me whining about it again.

You're welcome.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment