Friday, July 21, 2023

Friday, 7/21

Once again this year, I'm going to be a geek.

(And, as always, I'll pause for a second here while you yell “In which year AREN'T you a geek?” because, you know, that's what you want to do).

Art on the Rocks week is coming up next week, the week when I do my annual survey of out-of-town license plate in Marquette. I don't know exactly why I started doing it (aside, of course, from being a geek) but if I'm counting correctly (and I'm pretty sure I am) this will be the 20th summer in which I've done this particular task.

So...yay me?

8-)

The fact that I've been doing this for two decades has provided me with not only a way to gauge the way the tourism industry is going up here on a year to year basis, but its also a little bit of a key to how much things have changed in Marquette over the past 20 years. While I don't know why I started this particular habit, I do know why I chose Art on the Rocks week—back then, it was THE big summer event in Marquette. And now, while it still is a huge event, it's been join by so many others, everything from Ore to Shore to the Beer Festival, that I (technically) could choose just about any week for the survey.

However, for both sentimental reasons and to keep it statistically valid, I keep doing it during the week leading up to Art on the Rocks.

So if you see me walking around the next few days scribbling something down on a piece of paper or swiveling my head around to catch the plate of a car passing me by, have no fear. I'm not dangerous.

I'm just being a geek.

Have a great weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment