Thursday, December 27, 2018

Thursday, 12/27


Is there such a thing as “holiday hangover”? Because if there is, I think I may be suffering from it.

For the past two days, I’ve had a DICKENS (no holiday pun intended (well, not much)) of a time trying to get my you-know-what in gear. It’s hard to get up in the morning, it’s hard to get going at work, and it’s hard to engage my brain at any time during the day. At first I thought it may just be the fact that I ate WAAAAAAAAAY too much on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day; however, after just eating enough to survive in the few days since, I can say that scarfing down cookies, fudge, cookies, a carrot or two, pie, and, uhm, more cookies isn’t the cause of my “hangover”. And since I don’t drink, I can safely say my “hangover” isn’t of the traditional variety, either.

So what is it? I think I’ve narrowed it down to one of two things. As those of you who read this on a daily basis know, I’ve had the usual insane schedule the past few months. Maybe this “hangover” is just my body’s way of telling me “enough is enough”. Or, perhaps that “insanity” may just have added to effects caused by a hypothetical “holiday hangover”. You know--you spend an intense few days (or weeks) trying to get everything ready for Christmas, everything for which you’ve worked happens over a day or two, and then you’re left with this, oh, “void” in your life. You’ve spend so much energy on a certain goal for so long that you don’t know how to react once it’s over.

Maybe THAT’S a holiday hangover. If so, it might be similar to a “wedding” hangover, an “exam week” hangover, or a “let’s move into a new apartment/house” hangover. Your mind is so fixated on one event that it can’t let go once that event is over.

Hmm.  You may like to know that something interesting just occurred. While I was writing about suffering from the effects of a “holiday hangover”, it seems to have started to go away. Maybe just talking through the problem has helped. Maybe I just needed to bounce the concept off of someone. If that’s the case, then, well, thanks for being my “therapist”.

I’ll stick your check in the mail tomorrow!

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment