Friday, December 28, 2018

Friday, 12/28


Say “hello” to my little friend!



That was just one of the many cow-related gifts I received this Christmas; a little statue picked up by my parents because A). they have a weird son and 2). they thought it looked like the cow I shot in Germany this year, the cow that now sits on my computer desktop at work--



You know, I think they may be right. They also gave me a cow calendar, filled with pictures much like I take of the creatures. And my in-laws sent up a cow pen and cow postcards, plus this little toy they picked up in Switzerland that moos when you turn it upside down.

I guess I'm easy to buy for. But if that means I get cow-related stuff, then that's fine with me. So thanks, mom & dad, and thanks, other mom & dad. I really do appreciate it all!!

****

Another gift I received for Christmas was the annual edition of the “365 Stupidest Things Ever Said” calendar, and as I’ve done for the past 15 or so years, I read each and every page of it in one sitting. This accomplishes a couple of things--there’s a point where the cumulative effect of all that stupidity catches up with me, and whatever control I have dissolves in a big puddle. I start laughing uncontrollably, with tears running down my eyes, and for the next couple of minutes I’m unable to do nothing else. Loraine then just stares at me for a second, and shakes her head the way she’d shake her head at a puppy trying to chase its tail and accidentally running itself head-first into a wall.

Except I do it on purpose.

The page that set me off this year? Read by itself, it’s not necessarily that funny, but when you consider I’d just read 200 or so other pages of stupid stuff; well, like I said, the cumulative effect was just something else. It was a description of a movie in a newspaper--

“'Dawn of the Dead': Survivors of a world-wide plague that's producing the flesh-hungry undead take refuge in a mega-shopping mall.

Based on a true story”

Like I said, in and of itself it’s not gut-busting, but when placed near the end of a long line of stupid quotes, sayings, and newspaper headlines, it was the trigger that set off my annual bout of self-induced hysteria.

I know.  I need help. What’s your point?? But at least I have cows.

8-)

Have a great weekend,



No comments:

Post a Comment