Thursday, May 31, 2018

Thursday, 5/31


Pardon my French, but where the heck has May gone?

I guess I haven’t been paying much attention to time recently, although given the packed schedule I’ve had so far this month I can’t say that I‘m surprised. That’s why, when I sat down to write this blog and typed out the words “Thursday, 5/31”, my mind started to lock up the same way your computer does when your web browser tries to open 22 pop up windows all at the same time.

Trust me. It wasn’t pretty.

May is done. How the heck did that even happen? Memorial Day was, like, three days ago. Does it seem to you like Memorial Day was three days ago? It sure didn’t seem to me like Memorial Day was three days ago. Yet if you look at a calendar--and seeing as how calendars really don’t lie--Memorial Day was indeed, like, three days ago.

If things keep going the way they are, I’ll go to bed tonight, wake up tomorrow, and find that it’s Thanksgiving, or something. Yikes.

I know my busy schedule is partly to blame for May slipping away, and I know that the two weekends we've been traveling could conceivably share some of the blame. But it just doesn’t seem physically possible that May is done. Something just seems. . . fundamentally wrong with that. Yet I know that time doesn’t not speed up. It doesn’t slow down. It just . . .is. Time is one of the few constants in our life.

Even if our perception of it gets skewed from (pardon the almost unintentional pun) time to time.

I know that whining about the quick passage of time is about as effective as whining about the weather. No amount of whining will stop what I don’t like about it, and as you all know, I’ve certainly tried, at least as far as the weather is concerned. So I won’t be spending days or weeks or months decrying the fact that time is busily slipping by. If I only have a finite amount of time, and if my perception of that time is that it’s rapidly speeding by; well, you know what?

I can certainly use my time to do things OTHER than whining about the rapid passage of time. So I’ll stop bringing the topic up. Or, at the very least, I’ll stop bringing it up until “tomorrow”, when I go to write another blog, and find my mind has been blowing because I’m typing “Tuesday, 7/23”, or some other such date.

****

Before I leave for today, I'd like to note the passing of a long-time listener of our station, Ray Krellwitz. You may not have known him by name, but you may have known him as “Ray from Marquette”, who would call in most Throwback Thursdays with an Instant Request for (usually) a classic love song from the 70s or 80s, and always end his call with a cheery “Thank you!”. I always looked forward to our Thursday meetings, and I will miss hearing from him.

RIP, Ray from Marquette.



No comments:

Post a Comment