Thursday, November 16, 2017

Thursday, 11/16

I think I have my list of cookies set.

As those of you who have reading these forever know, Christmas cookies are a big deal in the Koski household. I make a crapload of them at home and then give most of them away to family and friends, then repeat the whole thing over again when I go over to my parents and make most of THEIR cookies for the holidays.

What can I say? I'm a masochist.

Whenever I sit down to make the ones I give away, I always have to consider it from two different directions. I need to make four or five cookies that I always make—the “traditional” cookies. These are the ones I've made forever, the ones that would get a “why didn't you make?” if I ever decided not to make them. So I know that every year I'm going to make those particular cookies. But I always save a slot for a cookie I've never tried before. While I enjoy making the “traditional” cookies, I also enjoy challenging myself just a little. So each year around this time marks a quest to figure out something different, something out of the ordinary, that I can add along with all the “traditional” cookies.

This year's entry? Lemon rosemary cookies.

Yes, I made cookies with rosemary in them. No, they didn't suck. In fact, I made a test batch for a friend and she said, and I quote, they're “perfectly light and airy cookies with just the right amount of sweet, and the lemon flavor and the rosemary sends it over the top”. And I have to admit, she's right. There's something very addicting about them, despite the fact that they're basically just shortbread cookies with fresh lemon rind and fresh rosemary (but not too much fresh rosemary) added in. I can understand why people might look askew at cookies with rosemary in them; after all, I usually use rosemary on things like pork chops & chicken. But in these cookies?

Yum. And there was an added bonus in that I had to buy a lemon to get the rind while making the cookies. So when I was done with the lemon I juiced it, made myself some lemonade, and you know what I threw in it as an added flavor boost?

Why, rosemary, of course.

I'll be interested to see how the cookies go over with the people who receive them this year. While I realize they're not as “traditional” as the sugar cookies, the chocolate cherry bombs I make, or the Grandma Cookies everyone goes gaga over, I'm hopeful these experiments hit the spot. And who knows—if enough people like them?

Maybe they'll get added to the rotation every year.


No comments:

Post a Comment