Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday, 11/20

Don't laugh, but I really kinda miss Big Lots.

I know; I don't necessarily seem like the Big Lots kind of guy, do I? And I really wasn't. After all, when the store was open in Marquette I would only visit it once or twice a year (so yes, I'm to blame for it closing two years ago, I guess). But it was around this time of the year that I'd pop in, and it was probably not for the reason you'd think. I didn't like to go to Big Lots for their collection of off-brand merchandise and factory seconds, or for their overly fluorescent lighting.

Nope—I liked to go to Big Lots because you would've found that the store had somehow amassed this amazing collection of interesting foods from around the world. Over the years I'd picked up blackberry jam from Turkey, cheese gnocchi from Italy, and a package of raspberry filled chocolate cookies from Poland, just a few of the many treats I found there.

And that's why I'm sad they closed their doors and never looked back.

Aside from the oddities of international food you could've picked up at the store I can also vouch for another service provided by Big Lots when it was around. If you had found yourself in need of a small, shall we say, out of the ordinary gift for an upcoming holiday season you could've found one while looking through the food shelves of Big Lots. Not only did they have a bunch of snacks and treats from around the world, but you could always find something weird from here in the USA, as well.

Case in point? A couple of years ago I needed a small gift that cried “strange”, and I found it at Big Lots? What was that gift, the one that cried “strange”? How about Elvis Presley flavored hot chocolate. That’s not to say the hot chocolate was flavored like Elvis Presley which, if I had to guess, would taste vaguely of fried banana sandwiches and painkillers. Nope; it actually had different flavors you’d expect from hot chocolate, flavors like mint & caramel. But just the fact that you could get “Elvis Presley” brand flavored hot chocolate at a store (at least at a store someplace outside of Memphis, where everything has Elvis’ picture on it) was one of the prime reasons why I would visit Big Lots once or twice a year.

And that's why, especially this time of the year, I kinda miss it.



No comments:

Post a Comment