Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Wednesday, 7/19

After tonight, it's three down, one to go.

Those of you who've been reading these with any regularity recently know that I've had a busy summer vis-a-vis the Marquette Regional History Center. I gave a bike tour last month, I turned in the article I wrote for their Harlow's Wooden Man newsletter last week, and in a few hours I'll be leading a gaggle of humans around Lower Harbor in the “Docks of Iron Bay” tour.

I think I've mentioned this, but if I haven't I should. When the Programming Committee of the History Center met last year, someone made the suggestion that there should be a “dock tour” and that I should be the one to host it. Normally, I just do the tours & programs that I come up with myself; in this instance, I begrudgingly agreed to go alone with the suggestion, and you know what?

I'm really glad I did.

While doing all the research on the program this past spring I found out all kinds of cool trivia about which I had not been aware. And then when I strolled around the waterfront in April and May while trying to figure out where to go, I discovered all kinds of little things that were hidden in plain sight, little things that I could point out to a crowd. And, to top it all off, I came across one of the most amazing pictures I've ever seen of Marquette.

And I thought that I had seen them all.

So to whomever thought it'd be a good idea for me to do this tour, just let me apologized for whatever grumbling I may have done under my breath when first given this assignment. It's become one tour I wish that I had thought of doing myself, and one that I wish I had done years ago. And if you wanna see everything I'm talking about, you can join us. It's gets underway at 6 at the History Center.

Hope to see you there!

*****

Before I go, I do really need to note that in another way it's a sad day here in Marquette, as Gopher's Bakery is closing. No more cupcakes, no more dreamsicle cookies, and no more of that amazing key lime pie they cooked up on occasion. The worst part about it, though? Well, I feel bad for Gemma & Eric, the couple that ran it. They're genuinely fine people, and I'll miss chatting with them as I peruse the yummy stuff on the shelves.

Good luck, guys. Loraine & I will miss stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment