Friday, July 21, 2017

Friday, 7/21

Wait. You can use the Internet to say NICE things about people, too?

If you've ever wanted to find out just how mean human beings can be, just read the comments section of an Internet post. If you've ever thought humanity could sink no lower than it already has, just log onto a Twitter feed. It seems like the anonymity of Internet allows people whose comments would wither in the sunlight of decent society to have those comments flourish without a second thought like the mold on two-year old cheese.

It's not a nice place.

So imagine my surprise in the 36 hours since I wrapped up my “Docks of Iron Bay” tour, my surprise (and astonishment) that people have used the Internet to thank me for showing them a great time, for teaching them a few trivial facts, and for sharing my geeky love for this place we call home. It's almost like there's a shred of humanity in humanity these days.

Who knew?

First of all, thanks for the kind comments. You really didn't need to make them; I was just doing what I do, this time in the company of 190 people. But I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. Secondly, thanks for raising 900 or so dollars for the Marquette Regional History Center. That was the whole purpose of the outing. And finally, thanks for restoring my faith in humanity. I'll admit that it's crumbled a bit in the past year or two, what with the virus-like spread of hate and cynicism that seems to have overtaken our daily lives. But you'd be amazed at how one or two small acts of kindness from people who actually care can overcome hundreds or thousands large acts of hate from people whose lives consist of nothing but large acts of hate.

It was cool to see.

Like I said, thanks to those people who actually took a few seconds out of their day to post kind words or to send me a note of appreciation. You really didn't need to; I'm just glad you enjoyed yourselves. And thanks for giving me hope, too, that one day—maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but hopefully one day in my lifetime—we can all read the comments section of an Internet post and not feel like you need to take a shower of Lysol when you're done.

Have a fantastic and hate-free weekend, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment