Friday, July 28, 2017

Friday, 7/28

One month from Sunday we leave for Europe.

Don't ask me how that happened; it just did. But for whatever reason, I’m actually farther ahead at work than I normally am. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve finally figured out what I’m doing, or if it’s because June and most of July sucked so much weather-wise that I couldn’t go outside and play, forcing me to stay inside and work, but I’m at a very comfortable point in working ahead to leave.

And that’s a good thing.

I think I may have mentioned in here before about how when I go on vacation, I have to work ahead to be able to go on vacation. Because I have such a specialized job, I can’t just slough it off on my coworkers, or wait until I‘m back from vacation to deal with it. It has to be done before I leave, and it has to be done by me. So every year we go overseas, I know that starting in June, I have to begin working ahead. And since the weather didn't cooperate, I actually started working in May for a vacation I‘m taking at the end of August.

But it looks like it’s working out.

Aside from the stuff I need to do here, I still have a list of things that needs to be accomplished outside of work, and one of those is getting our trip Blogspot site back up to speed and ready to go. Leaving a story and pictures on the site works quite well; every year we seem to have more & more people checking in every day to see what we were doing, and we certainly don’t want to leave them hanging. Besides, we've now been using it for six different trip (this being the seventh) and before we go it's kind of fun to look back and see what we previously did, especially when (like this year), we're partially re-creating an adventure we first tried in 2014.

If nothing else, it's like our very own electronic scrapbook!

Finally, I’m also starting to review my French. We’ll be in French-speaking areas a little over half the time this year, so I need to be ready. Like I mentioned a few months ago, I've been looking through all my notes and reference books, including a huge 800 page French-English dictionary we bought a few years ago. It’s a cool book, if only because it has a section in the middle with phrases that English-speaking people going to France or French-speaking people going to the U.S. or the U.K. can use. And it’s there that I made an interesting discovery, one that probably speaks to a major difference between French people and Americans--

Did you know that, in French, there is not an equivalent to the phrase “All you can eat”? Nope, there’s not a French translation for that. They actually use the English words “All you can eat” because, apparently, the French and their language can’t fathom the concept of “All you can eat”. And if THAT doesn’t speak to a major difference between the two cultures, I don’t know what does.

Amazing what you can learn while you’re getting ready for something, isn’t it?

Anyway, that's what coming up in a month. Coming up this weekend? Art on the Rocks, among other things. I'll be around there tomorrow morning, so maybe I'll see you. If not enjoy the nice weather, including (believe it or not) a Sunday that's actually supposed to be sunny & warm. Yes, in 2017. Go figure!!!

8-)



No comments:

Post a Comment