Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Wednesday, 11/3

 I don't think I'm ready for it.

For those of you who don't know, here's what we woke up yesterday in Marquette--



That's downtown, right across the street from the station and just a couple of blocks from the (relatively) warm Lake Superior. There was a whole lot more snow just half a mile from where I took the picture. I shouldn't be shocked it happened; this is actually one of the later dates for the first snowfall in quite a few years, and we've been lucky in that respect.

But still—I am so not ready for winter.

I don't know what it is, but I look less and less forward to winter every year. Keep in mind that I never actually ever looked forward to winter; I don't know if anyone in their right mind would. But at least I accepted the fact that it's going to happen, whether I want it to or not. But that's getting harder and harder to do. The more I come to appreciate summer and sun and warmth the less I come to tolerate snow & cold, even if it means I can cross-country ski and snowshoe for a couple of weeks or months.

Or, in the case of our mild winter last year, I get to ski once.  Just once.

As I may have mentioned, we've been spoiled with an absolutely gorgeous fall so far, as evidenced, perhaps, by another picture I took just this past Saturday--



Yup. Sixty degrees and mostly sunny and with leaves ablaze on October 30th. That's how spoiled we've been this fall.

Thankfully, what I pictured in the first picture has now disappeared, and by this weekend we should be back in the 50s. But if nothing else, it served as a reminder as to what we can soon expect.

Whether we're ready for it or not.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment