Friday, August 18, 2023

Friday, 8/18

If I actually had any talent, I would have added more to the project.

Showing just how far behind I am this week, last Sunday I was out shooting B-roll for this upcoming Monday's "Life in the 906". As I was walking from one place to the next I saw an invitation on a sidewalk. This invitation--



Someone had started a mural, and left chalk for anyone who wanted to add to it. Since I have absolutely no talent at all when it comes to drawing, I just left the smiley face you see in the lower right hand corner. But since I was invited to add my contribution, I didn't want to disappoint whoever had asked in the first place.

Hopefully, people with more talent left more than I did.

I often comment upon how Marquette is a magical place, that you never know what you're going to come across, and this was just another example. Here I was, strolling down a residential street in south Marquette, and I was invited to be an artist. I mean, that doesn't happen everywhere. But here, it did. Someone started a project, and then left the tools for someone else to add to it. Sure, the project is probably gone now, fallen victim to rain of this week, but for a moment it was a piece of Marquette.

A piece of Marquette to which I was able to add my (very) little contribution.

Hope you have the chance to make some art (of any kind) this weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment