Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Tuesday, 11/16

I really don't have anything against the Detroit Lions. It's just that they make it so darn easy to make fun of them!

On occasion, I will crack wise on the air about the legendary ineptitude of the NFL team. One, I do it because they're such an easy target. B, I also do it because I was raised a Lions fan, and I'm obviously still working through all kinds of psyche-scarring issues related to that. So it's probably not too surprising that I'll make fun of them in any number of ways.

The latest comes courtesy of our ongoing “Upper Michigan's Favorite Friday” feature this week. For those of you who don't know, that's when we try to figure out Upper Michigan's favorite song by a particular artist or the favorite song related to a certain theme. Well, with Thanksgiving coming up, a day on which the Lions always play, I decided to use that as a basis to have our listeners figure out Upper Michigan's favorite song about losing.

Because, after all, that's probably what the Lions will indeed be doing on that day.

Since the promos started airing last Friday night I've had several people comment on them, mostly in a positive way and mostly after the Lions actually didn't lose this past Sunday (it was, perhaps, the ugliest tie in NFL history, which means they still haven't won). However, I also did hear from one individual who did indeed wonder exactly what I have against his favorite football team, and I had to answer that other than the years of heart-break I suffered while a fan and the almost high-school level at which they occasionally play I have nothing against them.

They're just such an easy target I can't help myself.

However, to the one person who did take exception with my poking fun at the only NFL team founded before 1970 that has yet to be in a Super Bowl (which says something right there) I offer as consolation one of the “losing” songs we'll be featuring this Friday, Tom Petty's “Even the Losers”, which has as the line following the title “get lucky some times”. So there—the Lions may suck now, and they may suck into the foreseeable future, but there's always hope.

Even Tom Petty says so. We'll just have to see how things turn out this week on “Upper Michigan's Favorite Friday” and how things go on Thanksgiving (and beyond) for the one NFL team that continually and constantly makes it so easy to make fun of them.



(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment