Monday, November 29, 2021

Monday, 11/29

Have you started to eat again yet?

It’s funny, but every year after Thanksgiving dinner I always swear that I’m never gonna eat another morsel of food again, for as long as I live. You may know someone like that, as well. And if that someone is like me, the promise lasts until, oh, the morning after Thanksgiving, when all of a sudden and for no reason you find yourself poking around your refrigerator and coming across a slab of leftover turkey, a slab that calls out to you like a Lorelei beckoning an unsuspecting sailor. And like that Lorelei, it lures you in without you even realizing it, until it dawns upon you that you just consumed two sandwiches after swearing off food forever.

Or is that just me?

Actually, it wasn't just a slab of leftover turkey that made me swear off swearing off eating. For the second year in a row (thanks, Covid) family ended up scattered all across the country and Loraine and I celebrated Thanksgiving alone. So for the second year in a row I made what we're calling the “Thanksgiving Casserole”, something that ended up so amazingly amazing that I don't mind eating again after swearing not to eat forever.

The night before Thanksgiving, I roasted a turkey breast slathered in rosemary butter. I also made a home made cranberry sauce infused with Grand Marnier. Then on Thanksgiving, I took those two things, added a couple of cups of cornbread stuffing and fresh spinach, and tossed it all in a lasagna dish. I topped it with an entire bag of chopped pistachios, baked it for half an hour, and then devoured so much of the way too rich,  way too gooey, and way too calorie-laden dish that I swore off eating again.

Of course, we all know how that turned out.

I had a “Weird Fact of the Day” last week that the average American expects to gain eight pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, a number that struck me as kind of high (after all, that's almost 2 pounds—or an extra 7,000 calories—a week). But after chowing down on that casserole for several days until it was all gone, I'm starting to reconsider that number. Maybe the people who answered the survey were right.

And if they were...well, then I really AM never going to eat again.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment